Thursday, March 27, 2008

Barbados 1 Dominica 0



"Now I know what it's like to be a travelling England fan".

For a long time we had hope - the first half ended 0-0 and though chances were few, we knew a goal was possible.

But then it all went pear-shaped in the 59th minute: a straight red card for our captain (at least one of their players was sent off for a second yellow at the same time). Without him - arguably our next best player after the awesome goalie - we were prone to the increasingly confident Bajan attacks... Then in the 75th minute their number 14, Standford, who came on a as sub in the 62nd minute, got the goal that put us out, and set Barbados up with a June meeting with Team USA.

But well done our boys! And the highlight of the game - the announcement over the PA asking for a Richard X, whose girlfriend had just gone into labour at the main gate... What's the betting the baby will be called Stanford?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Alas" ( the creole pronunciation with a long A )

Well tnx for the update. Better luck next time.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say, awesome site! I found it via your comment on my page. And if you ever get a pic of a moon rainbow, do send! I think I've only seen 1 in the 2 years I've lived in Dominica.

Jobove - Reus said...

Of chance we have entered your blog and we have liked it

regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you

Andrew said...

Steve

I have been following your eager anticipation of the Barbados game in your Blog. Question: Is this defeat as hard to take as England not qualifying for Euro 2008? An occurrence that will ruin what little summer we get back here in Blighty!

Andrew Hall
Preston, Lancs.

Unknown said...

Andrew - that fact has been erased from mine (and I'm sure many others) memory. In fact, I'll probably enjoy the competition all the more, without fear of a gut-wrenching semi-final defeat on penalties to Germany...