Monday, March 03, 2008

Grinding greenery

Flower in Dominica
A recent article talked about Dominica's 'grinding poverty'. Like another from someone else who'd done cursory research on the web (but never been anywhere near here), it emphasied how poor we are.

Before I go on, let's quickly look at the UN's Human Poverty Index. Dominica ranks 71st, the top of the Medium Human Development group of nations, above many of our Caribbean nations (inc. St Lucia, Grenada, St Vincent). And even above our new partners, China and Venezuela! And above another 84 countries in the same group. Below that are the Low Human Development group of another 20-odd nations.

But along with the other indices that rate us highly in quality of life (4th happiest in the world, no less!), they are ignored in favour of a sweeping generalisation. Certainly, if the author of the article were to visit, for every ramshackle home they'd pass, they'd also be passed by a SUV. Yes there's poverty, but it's not 'grinding'. The author is probably closer to it than we are.

What we do have is a grinding greenery. A lushness that hits you in the face hard every day. An almost depressing natural beauty that berates you constantly ('look at me, climb, explore, take photos, dive, stop working!'). And as the rain continues to fall outside, a grinding rainforest. I know where'd I rather be.



----------------
Listening to: Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Zachawii said...

Steve, excellent post. I wrote about this, in a similar fashion on my blog here: http://zachawii.blogspot.com/2008/02/dominicas-resource-curse.html

If you have any links to a transcript of Skerrits state of the nation (whatever it is called) let me know. Keep up the good postings and have a great day! I wish I were there on the island...

Unknown said...

Thanks! I put the speech online here.