Friday, January 11, 2013

Amazon's AutoRip

Amazon have just launched an interesting new feature (in the US only though). Called Auto-Rip, it converts to MP3 every applicable CD you've ever purchased back to 1998.

It integrates with their Cloud Player, and once you turn that on, the content of those CDs will appear magically as MP3s in your Cloud Player. Which is rather nice.

Here's Amazon's press release on the service, and here's an interesting take on the service, (basically saying nice, but who buys Cds anymore?).

Though that only amounted to 8 CDs for me, it did have me wondering: "What the?!" when I saw what I'd bought, way back when. The Barry White must (bold, italic) have been a gift; same for Santana. Bowie and The Stranglers were a nostalgia trip I still recall (nay, am still going through). Costello's 'Painted From Memory' is still one of my favourite Costello albums.

But the two track Bach: Goldberg Variations mono recording from 1955? Help, my Amazon account's been hacked!