Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Oh Nigeria!

Knocked out of the World Cup, and still churning out the spam-scam e-mails. Here's one I just got:

Hello  ,

I work with Oaks Court Chambers - United Kingdom. I got your contacts through the Office of Public Sector Information and Information Commissioner's Office.
There Is a possibility that you may be related to My late client, whom this Chambers owes a legal obligation. You may or may not be related to my client and If so, I will still workout the modalities of transferring heredity of his fund still under my custody at the finance house in Europe to you as Beneficiary

Could I indeed be in for a windfall? By viewing the headers 'inside' the e-mail, we gain an insight to the apparent route the e-mail has taken from sender to lucky recipient. Headers show details such as:

Received: from oaklawfirm@lawyer.com
    by imo-da03.mx.aol.com  (mail_out_v42.9.) id 3.c2d.7dc33f6f (55731);
    Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:46:11 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from smtprly-de03.mx.aol.com (smtprly-de03.mx.aol.com
By tracing back the 'received from' IP addresses we can find the origin. However, there's a good online tool that simplifies the process. http://whatismyipaddress.com/trace-email will let you paste headers, and returns the geographic origin of the e-mail, thus:


Source:

The source IP address is 83.229.101.69.


Geo-Location Information

Country Nigeria