Friday, April 27, 2012

A Hardware Week

It's been a busy hardware-oriented week. This is what I've learned.

1. When your Windows PC gets the blue-screen of death (BSOD) that says 'memory_management', your  memory really is fried. I was lucky to get the memory I need from the nearest store, and before you know it I'd not only resolved the problem, but got an extra 1Gb of RAM that makes my laptop noticeably faster.

2. If you've got a old PC with an Intel Socket 775 CPU, do consider swapping out the old 1.3Ghz single core processor for a dual-core 2.6Ghz CPU. For a few quid, I've got a blindingly fast PC I was previously thinking of dumping. Then to make things sweeter I overclocked it to almost 4Ghz! And it took just 10 minutes to install.

3. If your Ubuntu PC won't come back from hibernation, it'll probably be due to a conflict with your NVidia card. Here's the solution.

4. If you can't log into your Ubuntu Samba-shared folder, make sure you're logging-in  with the hostname specified, e.g. user@hostname !

Liam's Pearl of Wisdom for the week: "The spacebar does nothing!"