$400 million lemon: LIME

'We asked you what you wanted...' said the press release from LIME, aka Cable & Wireless; I'm not sure how many people said 'spend $400 million rebranding'. Nevertheless, that's what we got, and the new company was launched here with a bizarre stage-show at Creole in the Park which many will remember simply for being badly lit. Oh, and for the free maracas given out (note to self, write a post soon about modern Cargo Cults).

Thing is, several years ago they rebranded to Telecommunications of Dominica (ToD), then had to un-rebranded after admitting none knew ToD and that C&W was a globally recognised brand. Well at least lots of people know what a lime is.

Already there are alternate meanings for LIME - Lousy Internet, Mediocre Everythingelse is one. But maybe LIMP is better:: Landline, Internet, Mobile, Profits

Comments

Kweyol Observer said…
I like it Steve but maybe I am a sucker for gauzy ad blitzes. The billboards around town are quite nice. Of course, if the customer service vibe doesn't change it will be the same old Cable & Worthless (Wutless in Jamaican slang) as my Jamaican friend calls it...
Anonymous said…
Steve: You are absolutely right.Lime is really a lemon. For the past week and a half I have been trying to access my Lime eAccount to no avail. The URl seems to be dead. On Internet explorer, I get the message "Page can't be displayed. Thanks again LIME for your worthless service.

Joel

Popular posts from this blog

Out in the village

The Rivers

Hurricane Dean aftermath in Dominica