On sunsets & solstices


sunset 13-12
Originally uploaded by Steve_Mc
Though we're approaching the shortest day, I've had a suspicion for a while something wasn't right with our tropical solstice. For I'd noticed that the sunset here is actually at its earliest in mid-November, then it starts to set later!

So I finally did some research that confirmed my theory. Our sunsets do get later from mid-November. Not that our shortest day is in November, it's just that through a quirk of latitude or longitude or something, our day is sort of shifted - so our sunrises are also later until the shortest day - December 21st.

Everything clear now?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not exactly clear, but I've always found this topic fascinating. I'd like to know more about this "quirk." Sounds might suspicious to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Out in the village

The Rivers

Hurricane Dean aftermath in Dominica